[OAI-implementers] Is there a plan for the soap/Web services/UDDI form of OAI?

Tim Brody tdb01r at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jan 18 06:15:40 EST 2005

Wang Liang wrote:
> =A1=A1  When integrating metadata by OAI in a project of our library, w=
e apply
> Web services to envelop OAI interface. Maybe the main advantage of SOAP=
/Web
> services/UDDI vs. HTTP/CGI is that the former provides a very easy meth=
od to
> realize OAI. The Repository just needs define some functions and doesn=A1=
=AFt
> consider the details of bottom protocol. And the harvester can apply th=
> interface just like using win API.=20

Some discussion on this:
http://www.openarchives.org/pipermail/oai-implementers/2004-December/thre=
ad.html

http://www.openarchives.org/pipermail/oai-implementers/2002-February/0003=
05.html

I don't think the situation has changed.

As a technologist I'm in favour of a SOAP version of OAI, as I think if
it's done well then most of the OAI code can be thrown away in favour of
SOAP APIs.

All the best,
Tim.