[OAI-implementers] resumptionToken Implementation

Jeff Pearson jpearson at usc.edu
Tue Sep 28 12:59:25 EDT 2004

Michael,

Thanks for the reply. Question then;

Sample case:

Harvester issues a query. DP sends back 100 out of 10,000 results.
Harvester then begins to request the consecutive chunks. Given that the
total data set is 10,000, this will probably take a while. Before the
entire result set is transfered, the DP updates it's repository which
shuffle the order in which the results are returned. Objects that were
transferred previously are now kicked back to a later position so it is
included in a chunk later requested by the harvester.

Does the DP now invalidate the resumptionToken or does it assume the
Harvester will de-dupe objects on it's side?

What about the new objects that have been added and are in chunks of
the resultset already transferred? Is it assumed that they will be
caught the next time around given that the modifydate SHOULD be later
than the last harvest date? Or is it the harvester's responsibility to
straighten this all out?

Jeff Pearson
University of Southern California