[OAI-implementers] HTML in CDATA section in Dublic Core

Simeon Warner simeon at cs.cornell.edu
Wed Aug 4 13:43:49 EDT 2004

I agree that including markup in the simple DC is a bad idea. The DC
usage guide (http://dublincore.org/documents/usageguide/elements.shtml)
puts it quite well:

> "Descriptive information can be copied or automatically extracted from
> the item if there is no abstract or other structured description
> available.  Although the source of the description may be a web page or
> other structured text with presentation tags, it is generally not good
> practice to include HTML or other structural tags within the Description
> element.  Applications vary considerably in their ability to interpret
> such tags, and their inclusion may negatively affect the
> interoperability of the metadata."

As Jeff sugguests, you can still provide richer metadata with a second
metadataPrefix (mantra: "OAI supports multiple parallel metadata
formats"). That way you can express richer metadata for applications that
understand it, without breaking the base-level interoperability provided
by DC.

Cheers,
Simeon