[OAI-implementers] Trying to gauge interest on two features

François Schiettecatte francois@fsconsult.com
Sat, 10 May 2003 08:01:07 -0400

Hi

I would like to to gauge interest in two features I am thinking of adding to
my.OAI ( http://www.myoai.com/ ). For those who donıt know, my.OAI is a
search engine and interface to a number of OAI data sources.

The two features are as follows:

1) Providing a way for people to get the query results as an XML file in RSS
format and, by extension, allowing people to subscribe to a search as a RSS
feed.

For those who are mystified by this, let me explain. RSS is a very simple
XML based data format which allows organizations to disseminate information
in a standardized fashion. This format is used by lots of news organizations
publish news feeds, as well as weblogs to publish their current articles.
There are a number of RSS feed readers, as well as webloging software,
available which allows you to subscribe to these feeds. There are really
desktop aggregators of RSS feeds.

I have been working on a weblog search engine called rssSearch (
http://www.rss-search.com/ ) which allows a user to create an RSS feed from
a search, so you can subscribe to that search as a feed. As new data is
added and indexed, it will be picked up by your RSS feed reader. So you
could get updated articles from arXiv as they are published and indexed in
my.OAI.

2) Providing a SOAP search interface to the search engine. This is an XML
based protocol for exchanging information between clients and servers. For
example Google and Amazon provide SOAP interfaces to their systems.

I would be really grateful for any feedback, questions, ideas, etc...

Cheers

François

François Schiettecatte                               FS Consulting, Inc.
Phone : (978) 594-5089                  35 Washington Square North, # 2,
Cell  : (617) 909-2504                                  Salem, MA, 01970
Email : francois@fsconsult.com           URL : http://www.fsconsult.com/