[OAI-implementers] User Specific Archive Access

Michael Krot krot@umich.edu
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 08:40:56 -0400

Hi.

I am in the beginning stages of architecting an implementation of OAI
that will provide user-specific access to our archives and was wondering
if anyone knew of any other projects that have tackled this issue.

As far as background information, we are an archive with about 400
journal titles and millions of records.  Users will only be able to
harvest metadata for those journals that they have subscribed to - that
should be a problem I can handle.  Things get tricky when we start to
look at what is available WITHIN the journal.  Some users will have
access to the entire journal from start to finish, other users will only
have access to records up until a certain year (usually 5 years before
the present year).  This isn't so hard to manage either, until you start
to think about a user asking for new or changed content.  What is "new"
or changed will be different for each harvester, depending on their
access rights.

One possible solution to this problem is to simply give them the
metadata and flag it as being unavailable in some way, but this is not
an ideal solution.  An ideal solution is to restrict access to the
metadata until such time as they are permitted to harvest it.

Well, I don't expect anyone else to have encountered this specific
problem, but if anyone has experimented with limiting access to an
archive for specific users or user-groups, I would love to know about it.

Thanks!
Michael Krot
Data Manager
JSTOR