[UPS] journal; initiative name

John Ober john.ober@ucop.edu
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 16:45:24 -0700

Colleagues -

on Journal info:
I'm convinced that services that draw from the archives will need to
harvest and use information about the instantiations of an "article" -
whether it has been published by a journal, anthologized, or otherwise
appeared in a scholarly product. Mark's comments underline that there is
likely to be a 1:many relationship between a piece of scholarship and its
instantiations, and I would add that "journal appearance" may be a
dominant, but not the only noteworthy, one. So, rather than add to the
metadata set, I'm drawn to use of the comments plus type attribute approach.

on initiative name:
Mike's suggestions add an important piece to Stevan's (which could likewise
be adjusted) - the interoperability focus. So I advise Herbert to choose
one from each of the following pairs:
Interoperable/interconnected e-print/scholarship
auto/self archive/repository
...and then follow with "Initiative."
John Ober, Director, Education and Applied Research
California Digital Library (www.cdlib.org)
University of California
 john.ober@ucop.edu  tel: (510) 987-0425   fax: (510) 893-5212