[OAI-implementers] List of tools used to harvest OAI metadata

Jasper Op de Coul jasper at infrae.com
Thu Aug 13 05:29:34 EDT 2009

Hi All,

Since this thread still seems alive, let me post some of the OAI
software we've developed.

There's pyoai, which provides a client and server implementation in
python. It's been developed in 2003 and quite mature.

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyoai/

A simple oai client can be written as follows:

=========

from oaipmh.client import Client
from oaipmh.metadata import MetadataRegistry
from lxml import etree

URL = 'http://<some oai feed>'

registry = MetadataRegistry()

class Reader(object):
     def __call__(self, element):
         return etree.tostring(element, pretty_print=True, encoding='UTF8')

registry.registerReader('oai_dc', Reader())

client = Client(URL, registry)

for count, record in enumerate(client.listRecords(metadataPrefix='oai_dc')):
     header = record[0]
     metadata = record[1] or ''
     print '%4d: harvested %s, %s bytes' % (count,
                                            header.identifier(),
                                            len(metadata))

====

There's also MOAI, which is a server platform that also can harvest oai
data. It's also based on pyoai, but overkill if you're just looking for
a simple client.

http://moai.infrae.com

Kind Regards,
Jasper

Hagedorn, Kat wrote:
> All,
>
> This may be a stupid question, but does anyone know of a list of tools used
> to harvest OAI metadata? I know of ours
> <http://sourceforge.net/projects/umoaitoolkit/>, naturally, but I wasn't
> able to come up with others by perusing the obvious web sites. Even if
> there's no list, I'd be interested in individual suggestions.
>
> Thanks,
>  -Kat
>
> -------------------
> Kat Hagedorn
> OAIster/Metadata Harvesting Librarian
> Digital Library Production Service
> University of Michigan
>
> http://www.oaister.org/
> http://www.dlxs.org/
> email: khage at umich.edu
> phone: 734-615-7618

Jasper Op de Coul -- Infrae
t +31 10 243 7051 -- http://infrae.com
Hoevestraat 10 3033GC Rotterdam -- The Netherlands