[OAI-implementers] Clarifications added to oai-identifier specification

Simeon Warner simeon at cs.cornell.edu
Fri Mar 10 11:01:03 EST 2006

Prompted by comments from Eloy Lafuente (copied below) I have added 2
small clarifications to the oai-identifier v2.0 specification. The new
version is online at:
   http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/guidelines-oai-identifier.htm
the new version with changes highlighted in red is at:
   http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/guidelines-oai-identifier.2006-03-09changes.htm
and the old version is at:
   http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/guidelines-oai-identifier.2002-06-21.htm

The change from the v1.1 oai-identifier specification to v2.0 meant that
namespace-identifier part of the identifiers (e.g. arXiv.org in
oai:arXiv.org:hep-th/9901001) is no longer tied to the registration of a
single repository. Uniqueness is attained from tying the
namespace-identifier to DNS registration. I have also changed the
validator service in accord with this understanding.

Thanks to Carl Lagoze for sanity checks.

Cheers,
Simeon