[OAI-implementers] Clarifications added to oai-identifier specification

Thomas G. Habing thabing at uiuc.edu
Tue Mar 14 14:06:25 EST 2006

Hi Simeon and all,

I am a little concerned about these changes to the oai-identifier
recommendation.  While for historical reasons we probably need to allow
"A single namespace-identifier may be used for identifiers in multiple
repositories operated by the same organization."  For new repositories,
I would rather discourage this.

My experience with the OAI Registry at UIUC has shown that it is
difficult if not impossible to develop useful registry-based services,
similar to Jeff Youngs ERRoL service, but also other services, unless
the namespace-identifiers assigned to repositories are unique to just
that repository.

What we have done when confronted with this problem at UIUC is to
register domain name aliases for each of our OAI providers, even if
those OAI providers all reside on the same server.  Thus we have:

aerialphotos.grainger.uiuc.edu
findingaids.grainger.uiuc.edu
ilalive.grainger.uiuc.edu
etc.

Each of these is a registered domain name, but each is just an alias for
some other domain.

I also suspect that many people might have the misconception that the
domain name used for the namespace-identifier must or should match the
domain name of the server which is hosting the data provider (the domain
name part of the baseURL).  This is also not true, and can cause
problems for people who might think that if they move their data
provider to a new baseURL that they need to change all the oai
identifiers to match.

Although not strictly necessary, this is another advantage of using a
domain name alias as the namespace-identifier.  If you wanted, you could
redirect the alias to a new domain if you ever needed to move the
repository.

So I guess my recommendation would be to temper your revisions somewhat,
maybe something like this:

Primarily for backward compatibility with previous versions of this
specification, a single namespace-identifier may be used for identifiers
in multiple repositories operated by the same organization. The same
oai-identifier description block would then be used in the responses to
Identify requests for each repository. However, organizations are
strongly encouraged to assign a unique namespace-identifier to each of
their repositories, even if those repositories are served from the same
host.  Registering domain name aliases for each of these repositories is
a possible solution that guarantees uniqueness even for repositories
hosted by the same organization from the same server.  Uniqueness of the
namespace-identifier is thus guaranteed through domain name registration
and not through registration with the OAI validation service, as it was
with v1.0/1.1.

Kind regards,
	Tom Habing