[OAI-implementers] Sets and multiple formats

John Weatherley jweather at ucar.edu
Thu Mar 9 16:55:52 EST 2006

> However, since you use "annotations" as your example second format, the
> question may be whether your "annotations_for_oai_dc" is truly another
> metadata format (a different view of the same item, to use OAI-PMH parlance),
> or whether it's different content.

Yes, in this case the annotation_for_oai_dc records contain different,
but related, content from the oai_dc records, not just a different
view of the same content.

So, more specifically we have this:

An oai_dc record provides metadata about a given resource:
http://nasa.gov/resource_123.html

and a related annotation_for_oai_dc record in the repository contains
an annotation written by a different party for the same resource:
http://nasa.gov/resource_123.html

As you point out, since these are two truly different formats, the
protocol does not allow them to be harvested at the same time - you
would have to harvest the records separately such as:

ListRecords?metadataPrefix=oai_dc&setSpec=oceans
ListRecords?metadataPrefix=annotation_for_oai_dc&setSpec=oceans