[OAI-implementers] Requesting a part of a record possible wit h OAI-OMH?

Tim Cole Tim Cole" <t-cole3@uiuc.edu
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 14:25:41 -0600

I would second Hussein's response on question of way GetRecordPart, etc.
aren't incorporated into OAI-PMH.

Keep in mind that OAI-PMH originated as a very targeted protocol
designed as a way for eprint archives to share descriptive (typically
bibliographic) metadata. The intent was to keep it simple and keep it
very low-barrier for metadata providers. Many current providers are
using OAI metadata provider implementations that would not be all that
robust when it comes to handling, for instance, the processing of XPath
requests. There are in fact a few OAI metadata providers that don't make
use of an XML parser for any of the dynamic parts of the service (e.g.,
the necessary XML processing is done elsewhere in batch mode).  I think
there's a large segment of the current OAI community that doesn't want
to discourage current and would-be implementers by imposing additional
requirements beyond those already in the protocol which were seen as
(and largely have proven to be) the minimal for its original, and still
primary purpose -- in fact a recommendation was introduced not all that
long ago (the OAI Static Repository) which actually further lowers
barriers for original small-site metadata providers.

Instead the OAI model assumes higher-level service providers will do the
heavy lifting -- which is why I would most favor Jeff Young's approach.
Special purpose third-party services are intrinsic to the OAI model and
I personally would like to see continued further development in this
regard (as opposed to changes in the protocol itself).

Alternatively of course we could see a separate, distinct protocol for
data exchange emerge which is related to or even a superset of OAI-PMH
(think new protocol might be to OAI-PMH as XML is to HTML). Hussein and
others have advocated for and made progress in this direction, and that
would also be a good way to go.

But in brief this is why in my opinion features like GetRecordPart, etc.
weren't and should never be incorporated into OAI-PMH. Someday OAI-PMH
will outlive its usefulness, in the meantime, let's make sure it
continues to meet original purpose and objectives. Tacking on new
features and functionalities will lessen its value to current core
users.

Tim Cole
University of Illinois at UC