[OAI-implementers] Requesting a part of a record possible wit h OAI-OMH?

Hussein Suleman hussein@cs.uct.ac.za
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:05:54 +0200

hi

just wanted to reply to one specific issue - where you ask if two new
"Part" verbs should not be considered for a new OAI-PMH version.

the current OAI-PMH is very popular largely because lots of prospective
features were thrown out (during development of the protocol) to keep
things simple - thus making implementation easier, faster and more accurate.

the principle adopted was that PMH transfers data - raw data - and thats
it. anything more interesting than raw data transfer should be viewed as
a different "value-added" service provided by a repository or service
provider. in all likelihood, if there ever is a newer version of PMH, it
will still do only raw data transfer :)

i should also add that Tim's solution (DC records to describe data, with
pointers to actual data) is something we implemented at VT a few years
ago for data similar to yours (large files of XML-encoded numerical data).

ttfn,
----hussein