[OAI-implementers] persistent IDs: DOI vs Handle

Jewel Ward jewelw at usc.edu
Thu Dec 23 18:36:38 EST 2004

Many thanks to all of you who responded both online and offline.

Just some responses to a few of the comments/suggestions.

(1) Yes, I understand that Handle vs DOI is technically a non-issue.
The issue with this is policy/overall infrastructure/cost, which is,
IMO, a stickier issue to wade through, hence my asking for advice on
*how* it was waded thru by others on this list.

(2) I do understand the difference between an OAI-PMH metadata record ID
and the item ID.  Really.  If I didn't at this point, I think both
Michael Nelson AND Herbert Van de Sompel would petition UNC-CH to
nullify/take back my master's degree.  ;-)

The problem is that currently I have a multi-media archive, but will
eventually integrate into the current archive an Institutional
Repository (which will contain both multi-media and text-based items).
For the IR text-based content, I'd prefer to have DOIs.  But the overall
DOI/Handle is not for multi-media (per the DOI web site) and as I am in
Los Angeles at a school heavily involved in the movie industry, I can't
exactly ignore that.  Which means I should look elsewhere than
Handle/DOI for a persistent ID scheme to cover all objects (which I
did), or use multiple persistent ID schemas for different formats (which
sounds like a real pain and I considered for a nanosecond).  I've seen
use of Handles for multi-media content (LC, DSpace) so in spite of what
the DOI web site says, in application, it doesn't seem to be a problem.

As one person caught...yes, we have multiple .gifs of different sizes
for each .tiff image (the .tiff rendition is not available to the
public) tied to one metadata record with one unique (USC-centric) ID for
the "unique item" and one unique ID for the metadata record (to be added
in the OAI DP implementation).   We want to take the USC-centric unique
ID and make it persistent outside our universe here. :-)

I did seriously look at ARK, also, but...have recommended to my
colleagues at USC that we go with DOI, and that recommendation has been
accepted.

Happy Holidays to you all.

Regards,

Jewel