[OAI-implementers] Reconsidering mandatory DC in OAI-PMH

Jose Borbinha jose.borbinha@bn.pt
Wed, 6 Aug 2003 00:25:42 +0100

Sounds good! It is simple, practical, and can fit well in the model!!!

Tim's analysis is correct!
I just would like to add a new element for his final conclusions, which
is the fact that even for metadata providers that create and use
internally rich metadata, the ability to publish it in DC stills
attractive, since it is a way to keep the full contents for themselves
on the same time that they make it possible to discover their resources.
I mean, if I have a complex MARC21 or UNIMARC catalogue, it doesn't mean
that I'll make the records available in those schemas just because
OAI-PMH makes it possible, since I might be giving away too much. I
might still prefer to publish the metadata in simple DC...
Thus, I don't think this possible move of the OAI-PMH to a more generic
model will be a threat to the popularity of DC!

Regards
Jose borbinha