[OAI-implementers] Reconsidering mandatory DC in OAI-PMH

Paxinos, Mathew M paxinos.mathew.m@edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed, 6 Aug 2003 09:37:11 +1000

------_=_NextPart_001_01C35BAA.7DE2CF50

Greetings All,

Our systems are using OAI for data exchange with various other organisations, we
are only providing access to the OAI interface via SSL and limited lists
dependant on the agreements we have with our affiliates.

We are providing our metadata in several formats, including:
 - oai_dc
 - agls  (Australian government locator service)
 - Qualified dc over rdf
 - vems 1.16 (Victorian education metadata standard v1.16)
 - vemm 2.0 (Victorian education metadata mapping v2.0)

And are happy to provide the information in any other format required, we juat
throw another xslt stylesheet at our data.

My belief is that the inclusion of oai_dc as a requirement of the protocol is
one of it's great strengths, it means that anyone who is posting the protocol to
the general public is also providing a simple and common way of extracting basic
information.

By all means also include other formats, even your own proprietary ones to
provide full details of your content, but do also provide the oai_dc, even if
all it contains is the basic title and identifier fields for your record.

If OAI is being used as a seed protocol for internal data transfer or a
proprietory EDI system then it doesn't really matter what modifications you make
to the base protocol - as you are not expecting unknown others to have to use
the data - but if it is being exposed to the public then you have to match the
protocol exactly - and that should include the oai_dc basic requirement.

Regards,

Mathew Paxinos
System Developer
Victorian Education Channel
Department of Education and Training
ph +61 3 9637 2256
www.education.vic.gov.au

Important - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in
error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using
attachments check them for viruses and defects. Regardless of any loss, damage
or consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not, resulting
directly or indirectly from the use of any attached files our liability is
limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Any representations or opinions
expressed are those of the individual sender, and not necessarily those of the
Department of Education & Training.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C35BAA.7DE2CF50

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>RE: [OAI-implementers] Reconsidering mandatory DC in =
OAI-PMH</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Greetings All,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Our systems are using OAI for data exchange with =
various other organisations, we are only providing access to the OAI =
interface via SSL and limited lists dependant on the agreements we have =
with our affiliates.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>We are providing our metadata in several formats, =
including:</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;- oai_dc</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;- agls&nbsp; (Australian government locator =
service)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;- Qualified dc over rdf</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;- vems 1.16 (Victorian education metadata =
standard v1.16)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;- vemm 2.0 (Victorian education metadata =
mapping v2.0)</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>And are happy to provide the information in any other =
format required, we juat throw another xslt stylesheet at our =
data.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>My belief is that the inclusion of oai_dc as a =
requirement of the protocol is one of it's great strengths, it means =
that anyone who is posting the protocol to the general public is also =
providing a simple and common way of extracting basic =
information.&nbsp; </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>By all means also include other formats, even your =
own proprietary ones to provide full details of your content, but do =
also provide the oai_dc, even if all it contains is the basic title and =
identifier fields for your record.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>If OAI is being used as a seed protocol for internal =
data transfer or a proprietory EDI system then it doesn't really matter =
what modifications you make to the base protocol - as you are not =
expecting unknown others to have to use the data - but if it is being =
exposed to the public then you have to match the protocol exactly - and =
that should include the oai_dc basic requirement.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Regards,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Mathew Paxinos</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>System Developer</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Victorian Education Channel</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Department of Education and Training</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>ph +61 3 9637 2256</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>www.education.vic.gov.au</FONT>
</P>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>

<P><FONT =
SIZE=3D2>***************************************************************=
****************</FONT>
<BR><B><FONT SIZE=3D2>Important</FONT></B><FONT SIZE=3D2> - This email =
and any attachments may be confidential. If received in error, please =
contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using attachments =
check them for viruses and defects. Regardless of any loss, damage or =
consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not, =
resulting directly or indirectly from the use of any attached files our =
liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Any =
representations or opinions expressed are those of the individual =
sender, and not necessarily those of the Department of Education &amp; =
Training.</FONT></P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C35BAA.7DE2CF50--