[UPS] RE: Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations, educat ion for students, pointers (fwd)

Stevan Harnad harnad@coglit.ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 17:35:23 +0000 (GMT)

Good query from Ed: Any ideas? All I know of personally is my own
polemical writing...

Cheers, Stevan

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 12:00:23 -0500
From: fox@vt.edu
To: harnad@coglit.ecs.soton.ac.uk
Subject: RE: Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations, educat ion for students, pointers

Hi!

One idea for discussion.

Students at most institutions know little about the
evolution of scholarly communication, the concepts of
open sharing, the economics of library purchases of
journals, the broad field of intellectual property rights,
and many other important concerns.  One aspect of NDLTD has
been to raise these topics for open discussion at universities
and to encourage local seminars, online educational materials,
and other means of engaging young scholars to be aware of the
issues and options.

Toward that end I wonder if there is a single place with a
small collection of papers about these matters that we might
point to? It might be best for this collection or a Web
bibliography page about it to reside at the new Web site for
the Open Archives Initiative?  For example, it might have
a few of the clearest statements about self-archiving.

I welcome your comments and guidance.  Regards, Ed