[OAI-implementers] Survey of Institutional Digital Repositories Published

Leslie Carr lac at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Nov 9 11:19:03 EST 2007

On 9 Nov 2007, at 15:38, primarydat at aol.com wrote:

> Close to 41% of survey participants purchased software to develop
> their digital repositories. US-based institutions were much more
> likely than others to purchase software for this purpose.

This surprised me, and made me suspicious of the findings....
> A sixth of the libraries in the sample used Digital Commons
> software, and 28% of US-based repositories used this product.

..and this surprised me, so I went and checked in ROAR, but it turns
out to be a not unrealistic figure. Of the 221 repositories in the US
recorded in ROAR, 44 (20%) are DigitalCommons (BePress). However, some
of these are not "institutional" repositories, but "departmental" or
"school" repositories for institutions that also have an institutional
repository. In other words, schools are paying for services that the
IR (in theory) already offers. The reasons behind that would be
fascinating!

> The mean number of journal articles held by the repositories in the
> sample was 772 with a mean of 162.

Well, that's not surprising anyone :-)

--
Les Carr