[OAI-implementers] Granularity in Identity and Responses

Simeon Warner simeon at cs.cornell.edu
Wed Mar 14 09:56:49 EDT 2007

Indeed. I add a couple of clarifications inline:

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007, Somogyi Tamás wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As the best of my knowledge the Identify/granularity means
> the highest granularity that can be used either
> 1) in the from and until arguments of ListRecords or
> ListIdentifiers
> 2) in the datestamps of the records.

> Smaller granularity can be used of course.

Hmmm... from and until parameters may be in smaller (coarser) granularity
but <record><datestamp> values must be expressed in the finest granularity
supported:
http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/openarchivesprotocol.htm#DatestampsResponses

> There is no any connection between 1) the granularity of the response
> date given by the server in all OAI response headers and

<responseDate> must be YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ssZ, also <expirationDate> if used
http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/openarchivesprotocol.htm#DatestampsResponses

> 2) the datestamps used in the records.

i.e. IN THE METADATA, like <dc:date> in oai_dc

Cheers,
Simeon