[OAI-implementers] resumptionToken Implementation

Matthew Cockerill matt at biomedcentral.com
Wed Sep 29 05:22:59 EDT 2004

BioMed Central similarly uses a stateless approach for resumption tokens,
and I too have been concerned about long term scaleability using

(a)  the stateless approach:
Retrieving items 999,900 to 1,000,000 of an ordered set from a database
tends can be a very expensive operation, and using 10,000 such 100 item
requests in order to retrieve a full listing from an OAI-enabled database
containing  a million records is clearly vastly more expensive (in terms of
resources) than, say downloading a compressed file containing the data for
all 1 million records in one go.

(b) a stateful approach
Caching lots of resultsets is the middle tier doesn't really seem easily
scaleable to very large sets, since cached resultsets tend to be inherently
memory-resident. A database temporary table for each new request could be
used, but would create its own resource issues.

I guess that the best that can be done is to sort items by a unique ordered
accession number/id/ (which doesn't change if an item is updated) and to use
this value as the resumption token, rather than using "offset within the
ordered set" as the resumption token. This should help both reliability and
performance (since appropriate relational database indexes can allow the
performance of  set=xxxx and accessionnumber>yyyy this to be tuned pretty
effectively, in a way that

set=xxxx and offset>yyyyyy

cannot be

Matt