[OAI-implementers] VRA in OAI-PMH

will.sexton at duke.edu will.sexton at duke.edu
Mon Jun 28 11:07:00 EDT 2004

Thanks for the replies about the UIUC registry listing -- my synapses
failed to register the "Distinct Metadata Schemas" link on the page there,
this Monday morning :)

FWIW, the American Numismatic Society's vra output seems to have a rogue
"</dc>"  tag in it that prevents the xml from validating.

I've turned up a certain amount of discussion among visual resources
curators and the cultural heritage community about the use of OAI for VRA
metadata, but the practice doesn't seem to have caught on.  I'm just
curious now, but this question comes to mind.  Are there any communities,
which have their own metadata standards aside from Dublin Core, into which
OAI has diffused broadly?  Eprints and ETD's seem to have adopted OAI,
with the use of Dublin Core.  But are there any specialties with
established metadata practices and their own, non-DC, standards where OAI
has significantly caught on?

Please feel free to correct gently any mistaken assumptions of mine, in
asking this question.

Will