[OAI-implementers] last-minute question about OAI-rights beta release

Simeon Warner simeon at cs.cornell.edu
Fri Dec 3 11:07:24 EST 2004

Hi Susanna,

Early discussions of the oai-rights group led us to conclude that the work
could sensibly be split in two: rights about metadata (OAI-PMH records)
and rights about resources (things OAI-PMH records are about). We took the
easier half first and developed the current beta specification for
conveying rights expressions about metadata.

We intend to continue this work to develop guidelines for conveying rights
about resources within the OAI-PMH framework. Note that it is not clear
that this requires extensions to the protocol. For example, the technique
of using an additional metadata format, for say ODRL or CC, fits well
within the current model and protocol (it is just another set of metadata
about the resource). However, there are important issues with unambiguous
identification of the resource, profiling and such.

Cheers,
Simeon