[OAI-implementers] dc:title vs. dc:description for images

Sarah L. Shreeves sshreeve at uiuc.edu
Mon Aug 30 11:26:16 EDT 2004

I've replied to Jenn on another list about this question (so I apologize
for anyone who's getting a duplicate response!), but I thought it would be
useful for other service providers to respond as well...

As a service provider we've actually made a point of making some rules
about displays and indexing that take into account issues like no titles.

For instance, in our Mellon funded service provider (for cultural heritage
materials), we always display the dc:title, dc:creator, and dc:subject or
dc:description in our short display. If the dc:title is missing, the
dc:subject is displayed. If dc:subject is missing, dc:description is
displayed. We also included the title, subject, and description fields in
one index.  This decision was made primarily because of the amount of
museum (and library, for that matter) metadata no titles. In our study of
the use of DC by community (from the Mellon service), we found that 77% of
records coming from museums and 66% of records from academic libraries had
a title element. On average, records from the museum community had one
title entry per record, and those from the library community had about two.

So I think that either Option 1 or Option 2 would work fine. Service
providers who are working with non-bibliographic material at least should
be accustomed to metadata that doesn't fit the normal mold. This doesn't
mean poor quality metadata, of course, just that 'good' metadata doesn't
have to have a title field!

Also, as you note, Option 4 is absolutely the worst option from a user's
point of view!

Sarah