[OAI-implementers] Qualified Dublin Core

Simeon Warner simeon at cs.cornell.edu
Mon Aug 9 19:01:51 EDT 2004

I think the problem with "standard elements in any wrapper" approach is
that a harvester has no easy way to know up-front what it might be getting
if it harvests records in a particular format. Harvesting a metadata
format understood to be "only QDC elements" (nothing else, no funny
business) gives rather more assurance of intelligibility to a harvester
that understands QDC. A canonical schema seems the simplest way to
indicate this (notwithstanding versioning issues mentioned earlier by
Pete Johnston).

Cheers,
Simeon