[OAI-implementers] Extensible Repository Resource Locators (E RRoLs) Service

Young,Jeff jyoung@oclc.org
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 08:25:13 -0500

I believe I've been able to work around the security problems IE was having
with the ERRoL service (http://purl.org/oai/). I also "fixed" the Netscape
display problems by rendering the results into HTML on the server. I would
be grateful if people reported any other problems they have with this
service. For example, I'm told that the Opera browser has problem, so I
added it to my to-do list.

Here's an interesting fact. IE has "security issues" with performing an HTTP
SC_MOVED_TEMPORARILY (result code 302) to a document with ContentType
"text/xml". Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I was able to get
around this by setting the ContentType to "text/html" even when returning
XML responses. This seems to work fine with IE and Netscape. If you find
that other clients don't like this, I can tighten it down some.

BTW, this effect will apply to the PURL server as well if you create PURLs
to XML documents. There's not much that can be done to fix this, though,
because the PURL server doesn't have control of the ContentType of the
target the way I do in the ERRoL responses.

There is still room for improvement, so comments and suggestions are
welcome.

Jeff