[OAI-implementers] Sets in and subjects in OAI-PMH

Hussein Suleman hussein@cs.uct.ac.za
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 23:10:44 +0200

hi

while everyone says their piece on standardisation of sets, can we
please think carefully on where this falls in the spectrum between data
provision and service provision.

it seems this is a first-tier service rather than a data provider
function. as such, it can be implemented (and has been in the ODL
project and NDLTD Union Catalog) as a component that analyses metadata
and dynamically organises records into sets for further
access/harvesting. of course this means thinking of digital libraries as
collections of service-oriented components ... very much in line with
the Web Services philosophy.

so why aren't other service providers doing this?

ttfn,
----hussein

p.s. is LCSH international? is it used in South Africa? Ethiopia?

hussein suleman ~ hussein@cs.uct.ac.za ~ http://www.husseinsspace.com