[OAI-implementers] Sets in OAI-PMH and DSpace

Kat Hagedorn khage@umich.edu
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 12:39:53 -0400

OAIster also uses sets quite often for selective harvesting,
particularly when harvesting certain aggregator repositories, i.e.,
OLACA, NSDL, etc.

I agree with Sarah: sets are vital. I need to harvest aggregator
repositories because they contain records that aren't available through
other data provider channels, but I need to weed out those records that
I DO get through other data provider channels. I use sets to do this.

- Kat

On Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003, at 12:13 America/Detroit, Sarah L. Shreeves
wrote:

> selective harvesting...
>
> At UIUC for our Gateway to Cultural Heritage Resources
> (http://nergal.grainger.uiuc.edu/search/) we selectively harvest sets
> because our indexes are based on the general type of material (eg.
> images and video, text and sheet music, archival collections are our
> three very general groupings). Harvesting specific sets allows us to
> broadly categorize collections by type of material.
>
> In our IMLS Digital Collections and Content project
> (http://imlsdcc.grainger.uiuc.edu) we are selectively harvesting sets
> that are specific IMLS funded digital collections.  For data providers
> which do not provide sets, we end up writing filters on our ends that
> grab the IMLS funded resources.
>
> I think sets are going to be absolutely vital -- it'll be interesting,
> however, to see how they develop.  I think that data providers have
> tended to create sets based on their internal structures and needs;
> it might be more productive to understand what service providers
> need/use sets for.
>
> Sarah
> ------------------------
> Sarah L. Shreeves
> Visiting Project Coordinator, IMLS Digital Collections and Content
> University of Illinois Library at Urbana-Champaign
> Phone: 217-244-7809
> Fax: 217-244-7764
> Email: sshreeve@uiuc.edu
> Web: http://imlsdcc.grainger.uiuc.edu
>
> At 08:57 AM 10/21/2003 -0700, Tansley, Robert wrote:
>> Hello,
> [stuff deleted]
>> Out of interest, how many people actually use sets for selective
>> harvesting?  My feeling is that while it's not vital now, as the
>> volume of data in systems like DSpace grows it will become
>> increasingly useful.
>>
>> Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
>>
>>  Robert Tansley / Hewlett-Packard Laboratories / (+1) 617 551 7624

Kat Hagedorn
OAIster/Metadata Harvesting Librarian
DLXS Bibliographic Class Coordinator
Digital Library Production Service