[OAI-implementers] Sets in OAI-PMH and DSpace

Sarah L. Shreeves sshreeve@uiuc.edu
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 11:13:38 -0500

harvesting...

At UIUC for our Gateway to Cultural Heritage Resources
(http://nergal.grainger.uiuc.edu/search/) we selectively harvest sets
because our indexes are based on the general type of material (eg. images
and video, text and sheet music, archival collections are our three very
general groupings). Harvesting specific sets allows us to broadly
categorize collections by type of material.

In our IMLS Digital Collections and Content project
(http://imlsdcc.grainger.uiuc.edu) we are selectively harvesting sets that
are specific IMLS funded digital collections.  For data providers which do
not provide sets, we end up writing filters on our ends that grab the IMLS
funded resources.

I think sets are going to be absolutely vital -- it'll be interesting,
however, to see how they develop.  I think that data providers have tended
to create sets based on their internal structures and needs;  it might be
more productive to understand what service providers need/use sets for.

Sarah
Sarah L. Shreeves
Visiting Project Coordinator, IMLS Digital Collections and Content
University of Illinois Library at Urbana-Champaign
Phone: 217-244-7809
Fax: 217-244-7764
Email: sshreeve@uiuc.edu
Web: http://imlsdcc.grainger.uiuc.edu

At 08:57 AM 10/21/2003 -0700, Tansley, Robert wrote:
>Hello,
[stuff deleted]