[OAI-implementers] OAI identifier resolver

Xiaoming Liu liu_x@cs.odu.edu
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 13:42:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Adam Farquhar wrote:

> Xiaoming,
>
> Hash algorithms such as MD5 or CRC32 cannot be used to generate unique
> identifiers.  These algorithms will occasionally produce the same output for
> different input strings (this is why hash tables require a mechanism for dealing
> with collisions).  Common approaches to generating unique identifiers use some
> sort of a registration mechanism to appropriately partition the space of possible
> values.  Successful ones will leverage an existing registration mechanism, such
> as DNS.

I agree hash algorithm is not a "perfect" way to generate unique
identifier for a repository, but it may be acceptable in engineering
perspect, the collision possibility will be pretty low in current scale of oai data
providers (<500?).

I think the basic problem is how to render OAI baseURL to a shorter,
readable string in non-collision way. The algorithm should be repeatable
-- Anyone can use same algorithm to generate same output given a baseURL.
I will be glad to see other approaches.

xiaoming