[OAI-implementers] OAI identifier resolver

Adam Farquhar adam.farquhar@alumni.utexas.net
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 12:03:26 -0500

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Xiaoming,<br>
Hash algorithms such as MD5 or CRC32 cannot be used to generate unique
identifiers.&nbsp; These algorithms will occasionally produce the same
output for different input strings (this is why hash tables require a
mechanism for dealing with collisions).&nbsp; Common approaches to
generating unique identifiers use some sort of a registration mechanism
to appropriately partition the space of possible values.&nbsp; Successful
ones will leverage an existing registration mechanism, such as DNS.<br>
Regards,<br>
Adam Farquhar.<br>
Xiaoming Liu wrote:<br>
 cite="midPine.GSO.4.56.0310201147490.11963@dilbert.cs.odu.edu">