[OAI-implementers] POI (was Re: FW: OAI identifier resolver)

Andy Powell a.powell@ukoln.ac.uk
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 10:38:42 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Young,Jeff wrote:

> > I also plan to add a ".POI" extension that will return the web resource
> > from the first dc:identifier in the oai_dc record, but for some reason
> > it's not working on the production server yet.

The POI stuff hasn't been shared very widely on this list - though Jeff
has alluded to it on a couple of occassions.  So here's an announcement...

 The PURL-based Object Identifier (POI)
 http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/distributed-systems/poi/

Jeff Young, Thom Hickey and myself wrote this proposal some time ago but
unfortunately we (or perhaps I should say, I) haven't had time to push it
forward very successfully.  The intention, as it says in the introduction,
is to provide a "relatively persistent identifier for resources that are
described by metadata 'items' in OAI-compliant repositories" and that
builds on the investment people are already making in assigning
oai-identifiers to the OAI 'items' that describe those resources.

A second document...

 POI resolver guidelines
 http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/distributed-systems/poi/resolver-guidelines/

describes how to configure the PURL system to resolve POIs.

I'd be very interested in people's comments on this proposal.
Furthermore I'd be interested in views on whether/how we should move this
forward - as an article in D-Lib Magazine, as an RFC, or as something
else?

Andy
--
Distributed Systems, UKOLN, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/ukoln/staff/a.powell       +44 1225 383933