[OAI-implementers] Experimental OAI Registry at UIUC

Thomas G. Habing thabing@uiuc.edu
Thu, 09 Oct 2003 15:07:47 -0500

Xiaoming Liu wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Thomas G. Habing wrote:
>

>>Based on this database I also have developed an experimental OAI redirector.
>>  If you have an OAI identifier (i.e. oai:PITTAEI.OAI2:558) but don't know
>>where it came from, submit it to
>>
>>   http://oai.grainger.uiuc.edu/registry/rx?oai:PITTAEI.OAI2:558
>>
>>and you will be redirected to the oai_dc format record for that id, if an
>>appropriate baseURL can be found in the registry database.  Unfortunately it
>>appears than many sites, especially the GenericEprints, are using the same
>>repo identifier (see http://oai.grainger.uiuc.edu/registry/ListRepoIds.asp),
>>so if there are multiple possible baseURLs for a given id, I have a ranking
>>algorithm that attempts to guess the best. I may do some more work on this
>>in the future, maybe looking at an OpenURL type resolver function.
>

> Many data providers don't use oai-identifier schema, in extreme cases
> for example dispute (http://dispute.library.uu.nl/cgi-bin/oai.pl) uses numbers
> such as 3465,3481. It'll be extremely hard (or impossible) to develop a
> resolver for this kind of identifier.

I should have indicated that it will only attempt to resolve an identifier
if the identifier follows the oai-identifier scheme.  However, even in those
cases it is difficult or impossible, especially when there are many
providers minting oai identifiers with the same repository-identifier.

> I had same problem in DP9, I think the proposed PURL OAI schema
> (http://www.dlib.org/dlib/july03/young/07young.html) also needs to solve
> the same problem.

I'll need to look at the PURL OAI proposal.

> Probably some actions can be taken to ensure the possibility of a general
> resolver?

I agree.