[OAI-implementers] Experimental OAI Registry at UIUC

Xiaoming Liu liu_x@lanl.gov
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 13:53:36 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Thomas G. Habing wrote:

> Based on this database I also have developed an experimental OAI redirector.
>   If you have an OAI identifier (i.e. oai:PITTAEI.OAI2:558) but don't know
> where it came from, submit it to
>
>    http://oai.grainger.uiuc.edu/registry/rx?oai:PITTAEI.OAI2:558
>
> and you will be redirected to the oai_dc format record for that id, if an
> appropriate baseURL can be found in the registry database.  Unfortunately it
> appears than many sites, especially the GenericEprints, are using the same
> repo identifier (see http://oai.grainger.uiuc.edu/registry/ListRepoIds.asp),
> so if there are multiple possible baseURLs for a given id, I have a ranking
> algorithm that attempts to guess the best. I may do some more work on this
> in the future, maybe looking at an OpenURL type resolver function.

Many data providers don't use oai-identifier schema, in extreme cases
for example dispute (http://dispute.library.uu.nl/cgi-bin/oai.pl) uses numbers
such as 3465,3481. It'll be extremely hard (or impossible) to develop a
resolver for this kind of identifier.

I had same problem in DP9, I think the proposed PURL OAI schema
(http://www.dlib.org/dlib/july03/young/07young.html) also needs to solve
the same problem.

Probably some actions can be taken to ensure the possibility of a general
resolver?

liu