[OAI-implementers] encapsulated metadata and content

Simeon Warner simeon@cs.cornell.edu
Thu, 15 May 2003 14:04:04 -0400 (EDT)

I considered a number of options that would allow export of full-content
from arXiv.org in a less home-brew fashion that we currently support. METS
looked like best option to me. I haven't got around to experimenting with
it yet though.

Exporting full-content via OAI-PMH is certainly an extension of OAI at a
philosophical level and deserves careful consideration. However, at a
practical level, OAI-PMH is a way to export Schema-described XML objects
with certain identifiers and relationships so METS-objects will work like
any other "lump of XML".

Cheers,
Simeon.