[OAI-implementers] encapsulated metadata and content

Naomi Dushay Naomi@cs.cornell.edu
Thu, 15 May 2003 11:56:52 -0400

There is an XML metadata format that strive to be a wrapper for complex
digital objects that may contain content as well as metadata:

METS - Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard

http://www.loc.gov/standards/mets/

"The METS schema is a standard for encoding descriptive, administrative,
and structural metadata regarding objects within a digital library,
expressed using the XML schema language of the World Wide Web
Consortium. The standard is maintained in the Network Development and
MARC Standards Office of the Library of Congress, and is being developed
as an initiative of the Digital Library Federation."

I believe METS could be used as a metadata format within OAI.

Another thing to take a look at is the Fedora project:

http://www.fedora.info/index.shtml

"The new system demonstrates how distributed digital library
architecture can be deployed using web-based technologies, including XML
and Web services and is designed to be a foundation upon which
interoperable web-based digital libraries can be built."

This isn't OAI, but is XML, web, WSDL, etc.

- Naomi