[OAI-implementers] points to ponder

Sandro Zic sandro.zic@zzoss.com
Wed, 14 May 2003 10:08:26 +0200

On Tuesday 13 May 2003 23:04, Hussein Suleman wrote:
> as a bottom-line: on the last page of my dissertation, i hypothesized
> that maybe we need an independent protocol parallel to, but informed by,
> OAI-PMH for inter-component communication. this is where i am heading at
> the end of the day ... is it worth the effort? or am i the only one out
> there who would like to easily combine the basic EPrints structure with
> Greenstone's search engine and an advanced peer-review module and have
> it all run off my PDA ? :)

I am thinking of OAI-PMH as a general-purpose protocol to transfer data within
components for distributed content management - this is where I see high
potentials for OAI-PMH or an extended version. Just imagine a collaborating
CMS portals network that does p2p harvesting on published documents,
application access groups, news, weblogs - or one day in the scope of the
semantic web: ontologies, knowledge agents, etc.

Actually, this is what I am mainly interested in: whether OAI-PMH can already
be used as a general purpose harvesting protocol today and if this is the
direction to go in future versions of OAI-PMH.

Sandro