[OAI-implementers] points to ponder

Hussein Suleman hussein@cs.uct.ac.za
Tue, 13 May 2003 23:04:04 +0200

hi

thanks for all the comments.

to add a few more dimensions and details,

of course the whole reason i am faced with the naming of interfaces
problem is the feedback i have received so far on the ODL project -
which is largely that overloading could lead to confusion (as Tim spoke
about). in contrast, the REST project specifically promotes the use of a
small set of overloaded "verbs" (supporting Jewel's notion of
simplicity) and REST has both theoretical backing and a fair amount of
support in the Web community. so to go with the middle road, i am
contemplating a suite of interfaces based on a set of fundamental
names/parameters that are unrelated to OAI (at least namespace-wise).

however, i don't quite see the point of inventing an analogy to
GetRecord(identifier) just to be different. in fact, in REST terminology
it would be not RESTful because having n different base protocols means
n-squared combinations (of course the REST docs explain this much better
than i am doing here - if you havent read about REST, you should).

Naomi suggested using namespaces and i want to do that since i am a big
namespace fan :). but i am not sure what would be kosher. i can easily
use different namespaces for requests - thats not a big deal. but should
i also use different namespaces for, say, a record format? if i put
records into a database and then build an OAI-PMH interface over the
database, this could result in a fair amount of namespace-transferrence
... i am still thinking this through and if anyone has done something
similar i would like to hear your ideas ...

[in actuality, i stopped thinking 2 weeks ago and decided to upgrade my
XML parser to DOM2 so i can manipulate namespaces ... if anyone is
interested in testing a single-file no-installation-required
zero-dependency 95%-complete-W3C-API pure-perl DOM2 XML parser, let me know]

it may not be obvious from the type of component/protocol experiments i
do, but i too support the notion that OAI-PMH should be a simple and
tightly controlled protocol spec. anything that is not OAI-PMH should be
appropriately labelled and the idea of extended interfaces which are a
superset is not something i want to do (i tried it 2 years ago and it
just didnt taste right :)). also, i find a lot of resistance to ODL came
from people who assumed that at VT we were proposing a
production-quality protocol whereas what we were really doing was
reusing an existing framework to investigate what was ultimately needed
in a production-quality protocol or suite of protocols. i want to test
the simplicity/understandability/performance/impact but i always get
asked "where has this been used in practice" ... is it possible that we
have so many complex/incomplete/changing network protocols because we
dont sufficiently experiment/research before we design?

Tim also mentioned harvesting. does any reuse of the interface names
suggest harvesting? to someone who only knows OAI-PMH, it is quite
possible. but in a different context, GetRecord does not have to imply
harvesting. so did we succeed in creating an accidental association
between general DL concepts and OAI? if so, maybe in future we should
name these service requests more specifically, e.g. "PMH_GetRecord".

as a bottom-line: on the last page of my dissertation, i hypothesized
that maybe we need an independent protocol parallel to, but informed by,
OAI-PMH for inter-component communication. this is where i am heading at
the end of the day ... is it worth the effort? or am i the only one out
there who would like to easily combine the basic EPrints structure with
Greenstone's search engine and an advanced peer-review module and have
it all run off my PDA ? :)

ttfn,
----hussein

hussein suleman ~ hussein@cs.uct.ac.za ~ http://www.husseinsspace.com