[OAI-implementers] oai_dc metadata format

Todd White tmwhite@merit.edu
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 14:37:01 -0400 (EDT)

while we're on the subject of the required oai_dc format, i'm hoping
someone(s) can verify for me that the following XML for the
standard/required oai_dc format is NOT valid.  (the Open Archives
Initiative - Repository Explorer already did, but any further
validation/comments will be most appreciated.)

specifically, the attribute/values -- xsi:type="dct:DCMIType" and
xsi:type="dct:URI" -- are not allowed, correct?

the following comes from:
http://www.archive.org/services/oai.php?verb=GetRecord&metadataPrefix=oai_dc&identifier=oai:archive.org:texts/64276

==================  begin XML source  ===========================
- <metadata>
- <oai_dc:dc xmlns:oai_dc="http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/oai_dc/"
xmlns:dct="http://purl.org/dc/terms/"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/oai_dc/
http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/oai_dc.xsd">
  <dc:title>Maikada</dc:title>
  <dc:creator>Rahman Jami</dc:creator>
  <dc:subject>Poetry</dc:subject>
  <dc:date>2003</dc:date>
  <dc:type xsi:type="dct:DCMIType">Text</dc:type>
  <dc:identifier
xsi:type="dct:URI">http://www.archive.org/texts/texts-details-db.php?id=64276</dc:identifier>
  <dc:rights>This collection is free and open for everyone to use. Our
goal in digitizing these texts and putting them online is to provide easy
access to a rich and fascinating core collection of archival texts. By
providing near-unrestricted access to these texts, we hope to encourage
widespread use of moving images in new contexts by people who might not
have used them before.</dc:rights>
  </oai_dc:dc>
  </metadata>

Todd M. White
Systems Research Programmer
734.647.8649 (direct) ~~~ http://www.merit.edu/~tmwhite/

Merit Network, Inc.
4251 Plymouth Road, Suite 2000, Ann Arbor, MI  48105-2785
734.764.9430 (general) ~~~ 734.647.3745 (fax)
http://www.merit.edu/

Avoid people who say they know the answer.
Keep the company of people who are trying to understand the question.