[OAI-implementers] Reconsidering mandatory DC in OAI-PMH

Jose Borbinha jose.borbinha@bn.pt
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 17:38:49 +0100

I'm confused... I far as I understood from Carl's initial challenge, the
idea is not "forget DC", but "lets open OAI to other formats". And it
was because I understood it this way that I said "yes".

Yes, I know that I can use OAI-PMH to transport records in ANY metadata
schema. In fact that is what we been FORCED to to, EVEN WHEN THAT SCHEMA
AS NOTHING TO DO WITH DCMES (and that is when I feel stupid, because I'm
paying an overhead for nothing...).

Resuming, what I really would like to have would be a simple protocol to
transport metadata, ANY metadata, including DC! Than I'd supposed to be
disciplined enough to understand that if what I want to do is publish my
resource descriptive metadata for a wide audience, than I should use
DCMES.
This should not be a problem for NSDL, NDLTD, and all of those nice
projects over there!

But it would make it easier, for example, for this nice project, where
what we want is to transport Authors descriptions:
http://www.crxnet.com/leaf/ (this has nothing to do with DCMES! I can
follow Jeff's recommendation and use DC to describe the
UNIMARC-Authorities, MARC21-Authorities, and the other few more formats
that we are using in this project, but all of that is useless for us,
and is cheating the model...).

Regards
josé borbinha