[OAI-implementers] Reconsidering mandatory DC in OAI-PMH

Sandro Zic sandro.zic@zzoss.com
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 10:38:15 +0200

Zitat von Carl Lagoze <lagoze@cs.cornell.edu>:
> 1. Change the Dublin Core requirement to a recommendation.
> 2. Leave oai_dc as a reserved metadataPrefix
> 3. Move the oai_dc part of protocol document to Implementation
> Guidelines

I fully support all three modifications. As far as I remember the Specs, they
generally stick to how OAI-PMH can be used for digital libraries and cover the
respecitve metadata formats. Maybe they could be modified or extended to
discuss a more generic approach and use of OAI-PMH.

To examplify a possible generic use of OAI-PMH: We use OAI-PMH in the CONESYS
[1] OSS project, where we define arbitrary metadata repositories in XSD. The
XML format defined in a XSD is then harvested between the same repositories of
different CONESYS installations. The XSD-defined metadata format serves as the
"native" format which can be transformed to other formats like DC to provide a
standardized metadata interface to other content collectors. In general,
CONESYS aims to be a middleware and administration software to create content
networks, by virtually harvesting and distributing any metadata in the context
of CMS.

Sandro

[1] http://www.conesys.net