[OAI-implementers] Reconsidering mandatory DC in OAI-PMH

Jose Borbinha jose.borbinha@bn.pt
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 10:22:50 +0100

I full agree with this direction!
We, at the National Library of Portugal (BN), are an example of that
case! We have been using OAI-PMH for several purposes, and we'd like to
expand that usage, as for example for the transport of UNIMARC Authority
records (which have no straight mapping to the DCMES).

On the other side we'll need to be carefull to avoid mess. If everyone
starts publishing metadata using his/her own schema (even when they
claim to be using MARC21 or UNIMARC, sometimes people make very strange
data...), the risk of loosing interoperability can be high. But this is
just going back to the real world, I guess :)

To deal with that we could do a few thinks, IMHO:

- We could discuss the design and development of a new kind of service,
which we could call of "metadata schema verifier (MSV)". These could be
services that data providers could use before the release of their
server, to check their metadata (the structure, not the smantics, off
course). A MSV for UNIMARC, for example, would act as a service
provider. It'd get the data from a data provider, check its structure
against the official standard, and produce a report to be delivered to
the data provider.
The OAI community could define and design these services, and invite
each relevant agency/entity in charge of a schema to support an
implementation for its case.

- Another interesting service to the community could be the publishing,
in the OAI reference site, of XSLT transformations of the non-DC
metadata schemas to DC, when possible and when it'd make sense. The
perfect scenario would be the possibility to "plug" those
transformations in the OAI clients, and use them when desired. This
would make it possible for a data provider to publish the metadata in
its own schema X, send it like that to a service provider, but on this
side it could be immediatly transformed to DC by the client, if desired,
just like if it were published in DC. I'm not sure if this will really
work 100%, but at least for the more common standards it might work
well...

- Finally, the previous two scenarios could be related with a
registration service for the no-DC schemas. This could consist in the
registration of the MSV service and the "XSLT for DC" in the OAI site,
which would result also in the reservation of the respective
metadataPrefix.

Does this make sense? Not too complicate?

We can do this for UNIMARC at BN...

Regards
José Borbinha
National Library of Portugal