[OAI-implementers] User Specific Archive Access

Tim Brody tim@tim.brody.btinternet.co.uk
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 15:01:34 +0100

Hi,

If I understand your problem as follows (e.g.):

An article in Journal "XML Matters" appears in 2003. User "John" has
complete access to the journal and harvests the article in 2003. User
"Daisy" has access only after one year, so in 2003 is harvesting articles
from 2002. But when Daisy asks for new articles in 2004 she won't get the
article from 2003 because she is using the datestamp ">=2004".

I think the solution to this is to change the datestamp in the user's OAI
request to be datestamp-(user's period before access), e.g.
In 2003 Daisy requests all records >=2003 - (1 year delay) = return all
records >=2002

Before any records are returned to the user you will need to check their
rights to that record (in a journal they are subscribed to, date of the
article appropriate to their subscription).

I've written this as I've worked it out, so please excuse any mistakes!

All the best,
Tim.