[OAI-implementers] restricted and free records

Kat Hagedorn khage@umich.edu
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 12:36:07 -0500

Hi all,

You're probably familiar with our OAIster project (I sent around a
message last month). If not, check us out at
http://oaister.umdl.umich.edu/.

Besides developing a search service with OAI harvested records, we're
also a data provider. We've been discussing in-house how to best make
our OAI records available for harvest by others.

In particular, we're wrestling with the issue of restricted records vs.
free records. We have a number of sets that contain free records, but
other sets are restricted to UM or institutions that carry licenses for
materials we have. We're OAI-enabling both types of records, since
restricted materials are valuable for certain audiences (e.g., our
partners).

To make it clear what is restricted and what is free, we developed the
concept of groups. One group is "dlpsall" which contains the sets that
are both restricted and free. Another group is "dlpsfree" which contains
only those sets that are free. We're serving up groups as sets. The
repository explorer at http://oai.dlib.vt.edu/cgi-
bin/Explorer/oai1.1/testoai gives a more complete view of what we're
doing.

My question is: wouldn't it be nice if we could indicate whether a
record is restricted or free not at the set level but within the record?
A harvester could then easily choose one type over another without
resorting to parsing sets info (which would probably take human
intervention). Is this something that could be made available in v2 of
the protocol?

Regards,
Kat

Kat Hagedorn