[OAI-implementers] OAI harvested database up for searching

Alan Kent ajk@mds.rmit.edu.au
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 20:38:54 +1100

I have created a database of all the OAI data I have harvested on
the machine outside the firewall here. Its still building as I type
but I will probably go home before it finishes.

I have put it up using a default search interface we have. Its not
the prettiest, or most user friendly, but it can exercise things
pretty well (and it was quick for me to do).

If you want to play, try http://z3950.simdb.com:8080/
then click on the "Servers" link in the top menu bar. It has
some instructions (normally this page displays other Z39.50
servers you can connect to, but for security reasons I have
disabled this). Log on as 'anonymous' (no password) and then
select the OAI-Data database (feel free to play with the other
databases if you want to, but they are pretty boring).

You can enter various searches (single terms, phrases), drop
down lists of searchable fields, scan indexes, etc. The indexes
defined may be silly (please suggest improvements!) For example
what do people normally want to search on?

The database it is in is also available for direct Z39.50 access.
Try z3950.simdb.com:210. It supports the GRS-1 record syntax by
default, but should be able to return records in SUTRS and XML
record syntaxes too. But I have not tested in much.

By the way, I am on leave much of next week, so if you hit problems
I might not respond immediately. But I think its always best to
release a first version of something then immediately go on
holidays so you don't have to worry about supporting it for
a while! :-) :-) :-)

Anyway, enjoy (if it works!)

Alan