[OAI-implementers] Friends and Neighbours scheme ... locating OAIrepositories

Stevan Harnad harnad@cogprints.soton.ac.uk
Sat, 2 Mar 2002 10:44:50 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, herbert van de sompel wrote:

> I have proposed the introduction of a ListFriends verb, which was supposed to
> do exactly what you describe, for inclusion in version 2.0 of the OAI-PMH.  I
> felt it would have been an interesting addition to the spec because it
> supported service providers in locating data poviders in a non-centralised
> manner.    However, the OAI-Tech committee has decided not to pursue it,
> mainly because we could not figure out what the incentives would be for a
> repository to do the additional work of keeping a list of "befriended" repos.
>
> I wrote a white paper on it, in October 2001.  If you are interested please
> send me a private mail.

Here are a few incentives, in the context of distributed Eprint Archives
for disclosing institutions' full-text refereed research output.

(1) Archives have been remiss in registering themselves; this may make a
registry unnecessary, or automatic.

(2) Potential archivers and users have expressed concerns about how they
can be sure that search engines will pick up all and only the contents
of full-text refereed research archives like themselves.

(3) Such distributed archives will need interconnectivity for backup
(twinning, mirroring, upgrades), citation-linking, and version control.
For all this it would help if they all systematically knew of and
tracked one another.

My technical grasp is not sufficient for me to judge whether any or all
of these objectives can be or are being realized in other ways too,
but I mention them just in case.

Stevan Harnad