[OAI-implementers] Friends and Neighbours scheme ... locating OAIrepositories

herbert van de sompel hvdsomp@yahoo.com
Sat, 02 Mar 2002 09:53:38 +0000

Alan,

I have proposed the introduction of a ListFriends verb, which was supposed to
do exactly what you describe, for inclusion in version 2.0 of the OAI-PMH.  I
felt it would have been an interesting addition to the spec because it
supported service providers in locating data poviders in a non-centralised
manner.    However, the OAI-Tech committee has decided not to pursue it,
mainly because we could not figure out what the incentives would be for a
repository to do the additional work of keeping a list of "befriended" repos.

I wrote a white paper on it, in October 2001.  If you are interested please
send me a private mail.

greetings

herbert van de sompel