[OAI-implementers] resumptionToken in spec

Simeon Warner simeon@cs.cornell.edu
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 21:53:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Alan Kent wrote:
> I was just re-reading resumptionToken in the spec I downloaded
> a while back and I think the wording of resumptionToken is not
> 100% clear. (Others have probably said similar things recently.)
>
> When an incomplete list is returned it says use resumptionToken.
> It also says "the response containg the incomplete list that completes
> the list includes an empty resumptionToken element". No must/should/etc.

'must', I think this was added after the last discussion.

> Also, what about if the first response is a complete response? Should/must
> you return an empty resumption token? Or no resumption token?

I'd say no resumptionToken because there were no incomplete list

> The XML Schema says the resumptionToken element is optional in responses
> implying it can be omitted sometimes. But it was not 100% clear to me
> formally when it can be omitted.

This is not enforced via the schema. I don't think there would be any way
to specify these semantics with a schema.

Cheers,
Simeon.