[OAI-implementers] oai security

Hussein Suleman hussein@vt.edu
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 10:55:10 -0500

hi

i should start by reiterating that access controls were always an option
for OAI interfaces - its "open" in the sense that the protocol spec is
public and you are not restricted in where/how you implement it.

that aside, i do some harvesting but have not yet had the need for
username/password provision so my code does not support it (and possibly
will not for some time if ever). that does not preclude the possibility
of someone else modifying my harvester to include such support (which is
probably quite trivial, given that its in Perl)

harvesters are not difficult to write - they are usually only written by
those people who want to build services on the exported data. if i was a
service provider and you had data interesting to me, with HTTP access
controls, i would definitely build support into my harvester for those
controls in order to get to your data. however, until you find a service
provider sufficiently interested in your data, having BasicAuth access
controls can be one more hurdle. as an alternative i may even suggest
using an IP access control list like Tom from UIUC just mentioned - its
not difficult to implement and makes security primarily the concern of
the data provider and not the service provider ...

ttfn
----hussein