[OAI-implementers] oai security

Thomas G. Habing thabing@uiuc.edu
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 09:36:33 -0600

Josie,

For our original OAI prototype, last January, we implemented both IP address
and username/password restrictions for our data provider implementation.
Our implementation used Microsoft IIS Active Server Pages and VBScript.  If
it would be helpful, I could probably dig up some relevant code snippets to
share.

In that implementation, if a user had the correct name/password or were
coming from an approved IP address they were allowed unfettered access to
the complete, full records.  Otherwise, they were restricted to
'dumbed-down' versions of the same records, such as being limited to
harvesting only title, creator, date, and identifier elements.

Regards,
	Tom
--
Thomas G. Habing
Research Programmer, Digital Library Projects