[OAI-implementers] Launch of OAIster Project

Kat Hagedorn khage@umich.edu
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 10:54:48 -0500

Everyone,

We at the Digital Library Production Service of the University of
Michigan Libraries are pleased to announce the recent launch of the
OAIster project. You can access our project site at
http://oaister.umdl.umich.edu/.

The OAIster project is one of the Metadata Harvesting Initiative Mellon
Foundation grants awarded to 7 institutions in July 2001. We are
collaborating with UIUC, one of these institutions, to develop a search
service using the harvester that they are building.

Our goal is to create a wide-ranging repository of free, useful,
previously difficult-to-access digital resources irrespective of subject
area or format that is easily searchable by anyone. The novelty of this
service is multi-fold:

• Our service will reveal digital resources previously "hidden" from
users behind web scripts, using the OAI metadata harvesting protocol.

• There won't be any dead ends. Users will not be retrieving merely
information (metadata) about resources -- they will have access to the
real things.

• The service will provide one-stop "shopping" for users interested in
useful digital resources.

• Digital resources will be easily findable and viewable through our
service. The middleware DLPS uses to index these resources makes this
possible (http://www.dlxs.org/aboutdlxs.html).

At the same time, we are launching a survey, designed to reveal how
people use digital resources and what features would interest them in
the OAIster service. The survey can be taken at
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=1429194588. Please do take the
survey, and forward it to anyone you know who uses or is interested in
using digital resources.

If you have any questions about our service, please don't hesitate to
contact me.

Thanks,
Kat

Kat Hagedorn