[OAI-implementers] Support for Tim Cole's comments

Caroline Arms caar@loc.gov
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 13:13:01 -0500 (EST)

I would just like to endorse Tim Cole's comments about appreciating the
flexibility of the resumptionToken.  Our implementation is somewhat
similar to his in that there is no database management system, but static
files of records, which are updated infrequently.  In our case, a whole
"set" is likely to be updated at once, which means that fine granularity
of timestamps will not help with the issue of dividing the response into
chunks.  We have been using fairly small response sets for records and
expiring the resumptionTokens fairly quickly, in order to avoid problems
from major updates between issue of the token and its use.  We have no way
to ensure that the order would be the same after the update.

We would certainly be interested in hearing from harvesters if our chunks
are annoyingly small and if our short expiry times are causing problems.
We made implementation decisions for these based on no information and
would be happy to reconsider based on real experience.

    Caroline Arms                                    caar@loc.gov
    National Digital Library Program
      &
    Information Technology Services

PS I will be away for a week.  I'll deal with any responses to this
message on my return.